I’ve apparently fallen off the face of the earth over the past month! The holiday whirlwind came through with all the travels, visiting, and chaos that go along with it, and I’ve been focusing on my physical fitness and my career (I finally got in my application for the PE test, now I just have to wait and see if it was approved!).
But I finally had a few moments to myself, and I was excited to see a note from Hannah at Eat Sleep Breathe Travel nominating me for a Leibster Award. While it seems a little like a “chain letter”, in that you receive the nomination as a newbie blogger and pass it on to other newbie bloggers, I’m definitely glad to see something that will get me back into writing! And boy do I have a lot to share in upcoming posts (I just booked the flights for Mother/Daughter Europe Trip 2013)!
Well, here it is:
The rules if you’ve been nominated:
■ When you receive the award, thank the person who gave it to you and include the link to their blog in your post.
■ Post 11 things about yourself.
■ Answer the 11 questions of the person who nominated you.
■ Choose up to 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers.
■ Create 11 questions for your nominees.
■ Inform the nominees of their nomination
Post 11 things about myself:
- I’ve been to 48 (out of 50) states in the US. I still have to go to Alaska and Hawaii, but plans are in the works for the next few years! My favorite city in the US to visit is New Orleans, Louisiana. I’ve lived in Connecticut, New York, Arizona, and Pennsylvania.
- I have a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in Civil Engineering. The first indication I would be an engineer was in 2000 when we took a tour of the Hoover Dam. I was fascinated – and there is a picture of me as a 12 year old with a hard hat staring up at the massiveness of the dam.
- I learned to read when I was 3 years old. My favorite book to read at that age was a nonfiction book about dinosaurs – I loved puzzling out the complicated dinosaur names! My favorite book now is the original version of Heidi. I even have an old cloth-bound copy from before they printed copywright dates in books. But overall, my favorite genre of books is Fantasy / Science Fiction. I’m currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and it is awesome!
- My favorite class in college was Introduction to Wines. We got to taste 4-6 wines per class, and had to learn about how grapes were grown, wine was made, the difference between different wine regions, etc. I also took Swedish Massage and Shiatsu Massage classes because we had to take 2 gym classes to graduate. Excellent life skills from these classes, really!
- I was almost named Caroline instead of Jennifer, but my parents changed their mind at the last minute.
- I love to cook, but I despise doing dishes afterwards! Luckily my husband is awesome and will do the dishes if I cook, so we eat pretty well most of the time!
- I literally have dozens of cousins. My dad is one of 11, and my mom one of 4, so I have upwards of 30 first cousins. They range in age from almost 40 years old down to about 9 years old right now, and are fairly well spaced out – there was almost one kid born every year with the exception of 1983, 1986, and 1994, when there were 2 born per year.
- My favorite toys as a kid were Legos, Lite-Brite, an old refrigerator box we turned into a playhouse, and a big old dirt pile (my dad installed a retaining wall and a swimming pool, so we had a dirt pile to play in for several years – we made roads, tunnels, waterfalls – awesomeness!).
- I don’t like milk chocolate, only dark chocolate. The exception are M&Ms, I like those even though they are milk chocolate.
- My favorite word is “effervescent“. I just love the way it sounds!
- And last but not least (and because I’ve run out of things to say about myself), I’m a Virgo.
11 Questions from Hannah at Eat Sleep Breathe Travel:
- Where are you in the world right now?
I’m in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- What are you most proud of?
I’m most proud of my degree from an Ivy League University.
- If you could live anywhere- where would it be?
It’s hard to pick one place, but I would have to say New York City.
- What’s your biggest dream?
My biggest dream is to attempt to satisfy my wanderlust. I suppose this means
- What’s your biggest fear?
My biggest fear is that I’ll live a boring life stuck in one place – and not getting to see the world.
- Favourite time to travel?
I love to travel in the spring or autumn – the summer tends to be too hot and too crowded, and winter storms can delay flights!
- The one thing you can’t live without?
An internet connection! haha…
- Favourite food?
Hot wings (buffalo wings) with bleu cheese – I could eat this for days and not get sick of it.
- Describe yourself in one word.
- Books or movies?
Definitely books. I love to let my mind wander and create the pictures in my mind.
- If you were stranded on a desert island…who would you want to be stuck with? (had to include that classic!)
I would want to be stuck with my husband – he’s strong, brave, and huggable!
Choose up to 11 bloggers to nominate:
I’m supposed to stick with blogs under 200 followers, but I’m not sure how to find that out in some cases. If you have more than 200 I apologize for underestimating the follower count! No worries if you don’t want to respond and/or continue on with nominating someone else, but I thought I would give a shout out to a few other small blogs I really enjoy following:
- Suitcase on the Sidewalk
- Buongiorno, Firenze!
- Katka Travels
- Une Fille in Paris
- Confessions of…
Create 11 questions for them to answer:
- What is your favorite continent?
- What do you do for a living?
- What did you want to be growing up?
- Where do you think you’ll be living in 10 years?
- What is your favorite activity to do while in the actual act of traveling (in a plane, train, car, etc)?
- If you could spend 1 year traveling to 12 countries (1 month per country), which 12 would you choose?
- What is your favorite food?
- What food would you be afraid to try in a foreign country?
- What landscape do you prefer? Mountains? Seaside? Desert? Prairies? etc?
- What skill do you wish you had?
- What is your favorite story (book, movie, etc)?